Suburb Spotlight: Maiden Gully

Each month McKean McGregor feature a suburb of the Bendigo district. This month we visit Maiden Gully; from a farming district following the gold rush to a bustling community hub filled with growing families this an area which has more growth to come.

By Brock Pinner

26-02-2020

Less than 10 minutes from the city centre, this booming suburb is known for its large allotments and family friendly neighbourhoods. With new subdivisions continuing to open up, and local schools growing alongside the home builds, this is an area that is known for its community spirit.

Maiden Gully was named in 1845 after a farmer from Moama, James Maiden. Driving his cattle to holding pens in Bendigo at the start of the gold rush, the area was originally simply referred to as ‘Maidens’. The population of Maiden Gully fluctuated along with the changes of the decades: gold, drought, depression and wars all impacting the area, but between the late 1930s and the 1970s the growth rate increased as the suburb slowly opened up subdivisions. 

The early 1990's saw a real level of growth in the area and despite easy access to the city, Eaglehawk, Kangaroo Flat and Golden Square, Maiden Gully quickly established its own services – alongside a primary school (once known as Myers Creek State School), there was soon childcare, a supermarket, chemist and post office. The introduction of Marist College in 2015 provided additional educational options for local families. 

There are quite a few sites of significance throughout Maiden Gully. The former home of the Monsants family has undergone growth and restoration over the years and is the location of the iconic eating establishment, Pratty’s Patch. Bendigo’s successful winery industry was greatly impacted by the widespread Phylloxera virus in the late 1800s until Stewart Anderson opened Balgownie Winery in 1968 – now a venue offering food and accommodation alongside its award-winning wines. Ninnes Grave, the final resting place of the wife and two daughters of a Cornish miner, sits alone as it has done since 1852, and there are quite a few other notable buildings in the suburb dating back to the 1870s