Just 6km east of Bendigo’s CBD, Junortoun has grown from sprawling farmland into a popular location for residents who want modern living with a little bit of extra space.
The original white settlers of Junortoun were the residents and workers of the expansive ‘Homebush Estate’, land that extended over 2,000 acres up and along the valley of Splitters Creek. The area at the time was simply referred to as Homebush. In 1912, it was requested that a name change took place in order to avoid confusion with the town of Homebush in New South Wales. The owner of Homebush Estate at the time suggested ‘Junor’, after his wife’s maiden name, however this was rejected on the grounds that it was too close to Junee, also in New South Wales. After some discussion and a new submission, adding a ‘toun’ was deemed acceptable and Junortoun it was.
A primary school – originally known as Homebush Elementary School, then Junortoun State School – operated until 1956. Catherine McAuley College, Bendigo’s coeducational Catholic secondary school, operates its junior campus from a building established in 1955 by the Marist Brothers to house boarding students for St Vincent’s College (which, in time, became part of Catholic College Bendigo, and now Catherine McAuley College). Other large businesses of note within Junortoun include the Bendigo Baptist Church, the Bendigo Harness Racing Club, the Bendigo Greyhound Association, an army base and CFA station.
Primarily a combination of farmland and bushland, Junortoun didn’t see a lot of residential growth until the early 2000s when subdivision opened up a number of new estates including ‘Homebush Drive’, ‘McIvor Forest Estate’ and ‘Cassinia Heights’. Not quite a city suburb and not quite a rural township, Junortoun offers the unique perspective of much of the surrounding land being zoned Rural Conservation, ensuring that residents enjoy the best of both worlds when it comes to lifestyle and convenience.
Separated from Bendigo by One Tree Hill Regional Park, Junortoun is surrounded by East Bendigo, Strathdale, Strathfieldsaye and the outer-rural suburbs of Longlea and Wellsford. Less than 10 minutes to the city centre, it benefits from its bushland surrounds and generously-proportioned allotments, offering both space and a sense of community to its residents.