As a locally owned company, we have been servicing the public of Central Victoria for more than 100 years. We operate in various roles including real estate, stock & station and auctions (including property, livestock and chattels/clearing sales).
McKean McGregor is an independent company and proud of it, with a business built on personalised customer service, our focus on our clients' experience has not waivered since 1911.
2015 saw the rebranding of McKean McGregor's real estate division with a renewed focus on residential and commercial properties. Having quickly established a strong reputation aligned with our core foundation of Trust, Sustained Relationships, and Clear Communication, 2018 saw the evolution of our property management division.
As one of Central Victoria’s leading Stock and Station Agencies, we conduct weekly sales of livestock at the Bendigo Livestock Exchange, these sales include prime lamb, sheep, and cattle markets.
William McKean and Ralph McGregor both worked for Herbert Spencer & Co at the Bendigo Saleyards in the early 1900’s. In 1911 Herbert Spencer retired from the business so Mr McKean and Mr McGregor formed a partnership which was to be known as McKean McGregor & Co. Gerald Gallagher who had worked as a junior clerk at Spencer & Co joined them as their clerk. At the end of 1929 they decided to dissolve the partnership which saw the emergence of two new firms, W McKean & Co and Ralph H McGregor & Co at the start of 1930.
At that time, Gerald Gallagher joined his mentor Mr McKean as a partner in W. McKean & Co. In 1947 when William McKean died, Gerald Gallagher became the sole proprietor and was joined by his brother Brendan who had worked at Newmarket with John McNamara & Co. Gerald’s son Kevin joined the Company in 1955 while another son Peter came into the firm in 1961. Mr Ralph McGregor started his Company also in 1930 and was joined by his son Jack McGregor in 1935 and they worked together until Mr Ralph McGregor’s death in 1945. Kevin Rea joined the Company in 1951 and assumed control of the firm on Jack McGregor’s death in 1969. Kevin was joined by his son Glenn in the business in 1990.
The two firms continued working separately at the Bendigo Saleyards, now known as the Bendigo Livestock Exchange, from 1930 until 2008. On June 30 2008, the two Companies again came together in a merger to form the new firm of McKean McGregor Pty Ltd.